Re: kumho crack - owner

To: washburn@dwave.net
Subject: Re: kumho crack - owner
From: "May I Pas" <mayipas@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 13:31:23 PDT
>>SNIP
>There was a note recently on team.net about someone seeing a
>circumferential crack around their Kum-ho.  I don't know all the >details
>on this, but this past weekend at a Milwaukee SCCA event, a Kum-ho
>apparently came apart along a similar line.  Along the inner sidewall >if I
>heard correctly, bringing the car to a halt.  (safely >thankfully) Maybe
>someone who has better information can fill in or >correct me.
>>SNIP

I have been holding back on saying anything in regard to this matter until I
could post some pictures of the tire.  I am the driver that had the problem
with the Kumhos at the Milwaukee/Chicago Region Event. I don't have the
pictures developed yet but will post them as soon as I can.  Just to set the
tone, here is some background on the day:

Climate: The day was cold (45ish degrees) and very wet.

Car:  1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Tires:  Kumhos, 8th event on them.  I hadn't rotated the tires from front to
rear all season, (I hoped I would only have to buy 2 at a time) but since it
was raining, I put the rear wheels on the front. I would almost call them
new.(Lots of tread left)

Tire Pressures: 46 Front 36 Rear

Situation: I entered a left hand sweeper and heard a loud bang/scraping
sound.  I brought the car to a halt and took a look. Turns out that around
3/4 of the inner sidewall, (passenger side), the tread had separated from
the carcass.  Exposing the cords but allowing the tire to hold air. (THANK
GOD!)  Had the tire lost air, I bet I would have rolled the car.

>>SNIP
>I wasn't the poster this time but I have had this happen to me a couple
>of times and I reported it a nubmer of months ago. It is due to extreme
>underinflation. Kumhos need at least 6-8 more lbs of air than BFG R1s.
>Once I went from 27 lbs cold to 33 lbs cold the problem disappeared.
>THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS!

This was not an issue of underinflated tires because of the Tire Pressures I
was running.

>It may have something to do with running full tread versus not, or
>running the tire in the opposite direction it was originally intended.
>(Here we go again!)

I haven't done that yet....and now I probably won't.

So where do I go from here? Any suggestions?

Thanh "All Kracked Up" Dombroe
13 GS