RE: 1/100ths (was Re: Autocross Timing)

To: "Glen E. Thompson" <glen.thompson@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: 1/100ths (was Re: Autocross Timing)
From: dennis@raceamerica.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:23:22 -0700
Glen,

You are right on the money.  Height placement of the sensing equipment can
be THE most critical variables contributing to inaccurate times for exactly
the reasons in your example.  We generally suggest placement of the sensors
as low as possible, catching the front tire which will not vary much unless
the tire  hops over the beam.  Otherwise placement high enough to clearly
catch the body of the vehicle, but must catch every vehicle.

A note of interest on how NHRA handles sensor placement, which is governed
by the NHRA sanctioning body and not the local track.  Sensors at the
starting line must be below 3" above ground to catch the front tire.  At
the 60 foot point on the track, the sensors are 10" above ground level to
allow for the lift of the front end which varies on every venicle so the 60
foot time is never an official time, just a gauge for each driver for
comparison of runs with the same vehicle.  The finish line and speed traps
at the end of the 1/4 mile have the sensors at 6" above ground level to
allow for normal vehicle lift under acceleration.

Given these rules dictated by the governing body, part of the 'game' is to
take advantage of the rules as best as possible for your vehicle.  Everyone
knows where the beams are, so everyone has an equal opportunity to 'adjust
accordingly', the equivalent to selecting the right tire for the track or
the vehicle.

I'm not making a point for the SCCA to govern sensor placement.  If
Autocross paid big bucks to the winner, there would be compelling reasons
for more rules.

With all the vatiables that exist, timing to 0.01 is probably reality in
order to remove the effect of all other variables, but the 0.001 gives a
deciding factor to minimize the ties from occurring.  If a driver was paid
based on how many 0.001's they cut off their time, we'd need 0.0001 ...

Dennis Laczny
RACEAMERICA Timing Systems
http://www.raceamerica.com