re : New Toyota Celica GTS - sighting

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re : New Toyota Celica GTS - sighting
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:13:11 EDT
Howdy,

> went past the local Toyota dealer and what did
> my eyes set sight on but a new  white Celica GTS.
> Totally eye catching.  Looked Great! Lets see how it feels.

Matt Murray replied :

> His personal preference was for the GT not the GT-S. Something to the
> effect of that it (the GT-S) had nothing under 5k (power wise).

Is it just me, or are these new rice rockets coming out with
fairly useless engines? For the street I like a car with
some mid range torque so I can pass people and accelerate
without attracting attention from a mile around with 7000+RPM
buzzing rushes. And for autox mid range torque is more valuable
than high end HP.

The Civic Si, Celica GT-S, even the Acura type R are not very
desirable to me, except for maybe showroom stock road racing.
I think they must have been created by the marketing dept
(high HP numbers sell cars). There is only one current car
that is light and small enough to make a little engine like that
work well - the Miata which has an old-tech engine.

The new Nissan Miata clone (MR-S? 2200 lbs or less?) may be
the first car to match one of these engines well,
maybe that will get Mazda to offer a powerful engine in the Miata.
Can anyone say SS Miata? (They are already faster than AS.).
The Honda S2000 could be nice with its decent sized
high-RPM engine, but it weighs about 400 pounds too much.

Regards, mike piera  analogmike@aol.com

'72 911S, '73 911RS, '93 Sentra SE-R (7500 redline but torquey)

www.analogman.com/911 - my racing pages

~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars   www.analogman.com