NCCC & C4 Vettes

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: NCCC & C4 Vettes
From: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 17:33:46 -0400
rom: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
NCCC & C4 Vettes

Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com> wrote:

> 1. Typical SCCA course design is more suited to Hondas, Miatas and
Neons.
> They typically channel the cars to follow a single line through every
> corner and punishes any tail happy behavior.

>You've just described every single course I've ever driven on that was
run by
the local Corvette Club. I don't know why, but these guys absolutely love
narrow
little squiggly courses with one line through it.

>Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Corvette Club owns more pylons than MDOT -
and they
use every single one of them. It's like if they don't use every single
square
metre of the lot, and every single cone in their inventory, then they
aren't
getting their money's worth....

>If you want wide courses with turns that have more than one line through
them,
or if you want to see a little speed, and you live in Detroit, then you
come to
an SCCA race, not a Corvette Club race.

Obviously, different parts of the country do things differently in both
clubs. I've run Corvette club events in the south and in New England. in
both cases the courses were wide open and gave the driver lots of line
options. They did use more cones in New England.

> 3. There seems to be some sort of unwritten rule against (shhhh, don't
> say it) straightaways.

>Not if you put Chris & Marcus in charge of course design....

Yeah, and we're fixing that problem here in 2000, also.

> 4. Why compete in a Corvette class in an SCCA event and get 3-4 runs
when
> they can run a Corvette class in a NCCC event and get 12 runs and not
> have to work the event?

>The local Corvette Club does 3-4 run events.

NCCC autocrosses typically have many events per day or weekend. The one I
attended in Greenville, SC had 10 events for the weekend with 2 runs per
event. Add it up, that's 20 runs for the weekend. BTW this isn't nearly
as boring as, say, allowing everyone 10 runs a day and only counting each
driver's best time as I have seen in some of the smaller SCCA regions.

 >They do have to work the course,
but..., well, you don't want to get me started on how they divide the
work
assignments.

In the Southeast the hosting club supplies the workers.

Ben Thatcher
Apex Benefit Services & Motorsports
Stockbridge, GA
Phone 770.474.1402