Re: Different slant on Sway-Bars

To: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Different slant on Sway-Bars
From: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:02:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Ben Thatcher wrote:

> I've noticed that the top contenders in the FWD crowd have been resorting
> to custom valved shocks costing $600 to $1000 apiece. These same
> $$$$$$$$$  shocks need to be rebuilt on a fairly regular basis.

Is this really true, or just an enduring autocross myth?  Mark Chiles' use
of custom shocks on his Neon generated lots of discussion at one time, but
I haven't met or heard of many others who followed his lead.  And based on
an article Mark wrote for Grassroots Motorsports, the advantage gained
from those fancy shocks has largely been negated by advances in
aftermarket offerings for the Neon -- he was just ahead of the market.

I have met or heard of no one using reservior shocks in Stock -- in fact,
I don't think the rules would support it, since I know of no production
car with such equipment.

So *who* is really using mega-buck shocks in Stock?

> My understanding is that these expensive shocks are used to compensate
> for the low spring rates found on stock cars. Allowing any swaybar front
> or rear would give the owner a much less expensive means for
> accomplishing the same goal.

You know better!  Shocks change the transient response -- springs and
swaybars change steady-state.  If I wanted to change my swaybar, I'd
certainly wish to change the shocks as well.

> Just a discussion point as I truly DO NOT have a dog in this fight.

Understood...just a break from work!

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (stock swaybars on each end)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr