Re: Different slant on Sway-Bars

To: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Different slant on Sway-Bars
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:07:27 -0700
Ben Thatcher wrote:

> I've noticed that the top contenders in the FWD crowd have been resorting
> to custom valved shocks costing $600 to $1000 apiece. These same
> $$$$$$$$$  shocks need to be rebuilt on a fairly regular basis. Perhaps
> allowing free swaybars on both ends of all stock classed cars would help
> alleviate this huge expense.
>
> My understanding is that these expensive shocks are used to compensate
> for the low spring rates found on stock cars. Allowing any swaybar front
> or rear would give the owner a much less expensive means for
> accomplishing the same goal.

I was speaking to a long time road racer about these shocks (are they
called 'reservoir' shocks?), and he was surprised that they were allowed
in stock classes. In his experience it is well accepted that these
affect and contribute to the adjustability of spring rates on racing
cars.

Anyone with more specific knowledge about these?

I guess it could be argued that all shocks have some effect on spring
rates.....or do they? My understanding is that sway bars do not.

Scott Meyers

Disclaimer - Very happy overall with SCCA, and not questioning the
wisdom of efforts of anyone. I am specifically not whining, beating any
dead horses, and trying desperately to avoid any other clichés...  :-)