Re: High $ shock setups (was Different slant on Sway-Bars)

To: TeamZ3@aol.com
Subject: Re: High $ shock setups (was Different slant on Sway-Bars)
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:18:28 -0700
TeamZ3@aol.com wrote:

> bthatch@juno.com writes:
>
> << Two guys I talked to have had their shocks redone at least 3-4 times
>  during the season. >>
>
> I can assure you that they are the exception, not the norm.
>
> I'm on my third different set of Koni DA's in as many vehicles and run some
> pretty obscene valving rates.  I've never had a blow-out problem, nor do I
> know that many people who do.

Thanks Mark for the additional information.

Perhaps those that have trouble are the ones using their bump stops as
part of their suspension  :-)  ?

I'm wondering how some are able to get their cars low enough in stock
trim to hit and then run on the bump stops?

Is it that the shocks are valved almost zero to a certain point, then
they stiffen beyond belief once the suspension compresses, and the
insane rebound rate holds the stop on the bump stop within that range so
the vehicle basically uses those as the "new" suspension?

Sounds like the early Mini Cooper suspension on the rubber donuts........

Ah, progress  :-)

Scott Meyers
Longing for my long lost MGB - most fun to drive car for the buck