Re: High $ shock setups (was Different slant on Sway-Bars)

To: "Ben Thatcher" <bthatch@juno.com>
Subject: Re: High $ shock setups (was Different slant on Sway-Bars)
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 07:58:51 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>

> If you send your garden variety Koni's to the rebuilders they can custom
build shocks to
> your specification. THAT's how you get the high dollar shocks.

I understand how you get there, but a number of people have made the
assertion that such setups *are necessary to win in the Stock classes.*
This appears to have some basis in D Stock -- for now.  Anywhere else?

> And, yes, I know several folks who are doing just that. One guy with an
> early CRX sitting on $2400 worth of shocks and having to get them rebuilt
> on a regular basis, too.

Wait a second...my Truechoice catalog indicates shock revalves are $100-$150
per shock.  Figure another $150 per corner for the original shock body.
That's about $1200 for a set -- which is what Mark Andy quotes as a price
for "the Daddio setup," so it makes sense.  So $2400 must be a *really*
fancy setup -- I hope this guy is winning....

And (I'm *really* curious) what's the interval between shock rebuilds?
After all, an off-the-shelf shock is good for a few years at least.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr