Re: That guy is....

To: adahl@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: That guy is....
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 11:39:47 EDT
Here we are, some of the most ardent auto racing enthusiasts in North
America, and there aren't but a very, very few of us who actually could
identify Peter Brock as the spokesman for Mobil One in the current TV ad
campaign. I've even watched tapes of the Bathurst 1000 recorded off of
Aussie TV and I didn't know who he was.

As someone who makes his living in sales and marketing, I have to ask who
the bonehead Marketing Director was that signed off on that advertising
flight without adding some sort of caption to the ads to identify their
spokesman.  It's one thing to get someone like Little Al or Richard Petty or
John Force to be your pitch man. I have to believe that you have a 95%
chance of your auto enthusiast target audience knowing who those folks are,
what they drive, and how many titles they have won.  Mr. Brock on the
otherhand, sits there with no identification, speaking in a very hard Aussie
accent that is difficult to follow unless you are listening very carefully
to the spot, and to boot, not even a racing outfit to show that he actually
knows what he is talking about.  Personally, those ads annoy me, rather than
convince me to listen to the benefits that one gets by using Mobil One.
Does anyone on Team.Net know anyone at Mobil?