Re: That guy is....

To: <lances@wt.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: That guy is....
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 19:57:39 -0500
Peter Brock. Oh, yeah! Know the name. Great credentials. Don't know the
face. Mobil never bothers to ID him. So not only to us, who are supposedly
somewhat knowledgeable about motorsport, but even more to the even more
clueless masses out there who form a much greater buying audience for
Mobil's product than our influential but tiny niche, this guy with the
Strine accent is nobody! So who the hell is he to tell anyone what oil to
use, and why should the viewer care? Hell, at least when Tom Berenger or
that other spokeman-with-attitude for the Quaker State ads comes on, they
throw out some facts, figures and claims of testing that at least back up
the pitch, even if they are just recognizable actors with no automotive
credentials to speak of.

Mobil has a great spokesman there. They (or their ad agency) don't know how
to present him. Result: the pitch goes nowhere. When it takes an "in" forum
like Team.Net to reveal his identity to a bunch of motorheads, you know the
ads miss the mark.

IMHO

--Rocky Entriken