Re: Electric WInch for trailer

To: <jack@cocoinc.com>
Subject: Re: Electric WInch for trailer
From: "Robert Glover" <rob@f-body.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:02:32 -0700
From: <jack@cocoinc.com>

> I installed a 12v winch on my trailer, and my question is how do most
people
> that have these hook them up? Do you run them from the truck battery or
it's
> own? 2nd battery? Can 12 volt be take from the trailer wiring or not
enough
> amperage? I have a plastic box mounted near it where I could mount a
> battery, I am pulling a Spitfire.

I just went throught his with my own trailer.  I haven't gotten mine hooked
up yet, because as it was best explained to me, you probably want its own
battery.  Get a Deep Cycle (RV style) battery, at least 450 cranking amps
(according to the manual of my Superwinch S4500 anyway).  BUT, then you need
a way to mount it on or to the trailer.  That's what I'm waiting on.

The biggest problem with trying to use the truck battery is the wiring.  The
cables that came with my winch are HUGE, probably close to 1/2" in diameter.
So if I wanted ot use the truck battery, I'd have to run that huge wire all
the way up to the front of the truck, and then have a separate connector on
the trailer to hook it to.

I'm just waiting until I finish building the big storage box for the front
of the trailer, so I can mount everything in it.

Rob