RE: no dishes allowed at my condo

To: cashmo@execpc.com, RandyWal@ix.netcom.com, bfuhrman@isd.net,
Subject: RE: no dishes allowed at my condo
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 19:20:29 PDT
"Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net> wrote:

>That was interesting.  I am part of a townhome association and looked at
>your FCC reference.  Only part of the above is true.
>
>They cannot ban DSS dishes, but you can only mount them IF you
>can get a clear view from a dish that is mounted ENTIRELY within
>an area reserved for your private use.  You can mount the dish
>on a deck or patio, but it can not hang over an edge or be
>mounted on any common property.

As the son of a ham radio operator and person that evaded zoning
enforcement for 3 years with my own DSS dish, I feel obligated
to tell anyone how they can get SpeedVision without hiring
an attorney.

Step 1.  Do you have a south view?  Before proceeding any further,
   locate the web site that has the ZIP code antenna pointing tool.
   Then, find a compass and a protractor.  When you figure out
   where the DSS satellite is in relation to your home/condo,
   site it with the compass and protracor to see if you've got
   a view from ground level or any window.

Step 2:  What they don't know won't hurt them. If nobody sees
   your dish, nobody will complain.  My DSS dish
   was pointed out through a window, placed in a plastic garbage
   can, placed inside a milk crate and wrapped with a garbage
   bag, hidden in a fake fiberglass front on a barbeque grill,
   and a few other secrets that I'm not going to share.  There's
   also fake rocks available on the DBS web sites to hide a dish
   in.  The window thing is touchy, and depends on heat reflective
   coatings not being present in the glass.  Just about anything
   else works, as long as the signal can penetrate it.  Be
   creative!  Ground-level antennas will work in many situations,
   as will temporarily putting one outside just when you want
   to use it.

Step 3:  Buy a dish, hook it up, hide it somewhere, and enjoy the
   SpeedVision that your local cableco has deprived you of!

Of course, you could hire an attorney, fight it out with the local
authorities, and draw attention to your desire to have a dish, but
this way's easier and cheaper in the end.....

-Arthur