VW Rear Caliper - Solved!

To: teamdotnet <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: VW Rear Caliper - Solved!
From: Rob Foley <RobertJFoley@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 07:04:32 -0400
Many thanks to all the immediate responses.

After hearing that a strong push in was needed while turning the piston, I
went down to the garage at like 11pm to see what was in the tool chest that
would do the trick.  I have a personal aversion to using "special" tools
for anything.

What did it was a gear puller, attaching the side hooks of that to the
outside caliper flanges, and a potentially sacrificial old made in taiwan
1/8" socket to put the puller point into for even distribution of pressure
on the piston.  After snugging up the puller,  made two quarter turns on
the piston, then two quarter turns on the puller, and so on.  Had  the
piston back in about 5 minutes.  Duh.

Usually for me, late nights working on cars do not end in success!

Hopefully I won't have this car the next time it needs brakes in the back!

Rob