Re: S2000 Price

To: "Chuck Hanson" <hanson@swcp.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: S2000 Price
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:35:53 -0700
>I visited my local Honda dealer on Saturday to see a new S2000 in the flesh
>(sheetmetal).  They had three and had them stickered out to over $50,000.
>At least $12,500 of the markup was just that, while the remainder was great
>and very useful stuff like a "Titanium Shift Knob".
>
>What a joke.  I'm sure it's a fine automobile, but give me a break on the
>$50k crap!
=============================
Ahh, we had a chap show up this afternoon at our event with a brand new
S2000 looking to participate.

Alas, the event was already over and torn down but a few of us oohed and
ahhed at his car and told him that he had the coolest toy on the block.  We
invited him back the following week for the next local event.

Then he made the mistake of asking us if anybody wanted to drive his car
around the lot.

Umm, yes please.  ;^)

Thoughts about the S2000:
I'm too tall (or the windshield is too low), yet another car that I don't
fit in.  :^(
Very nice interior.
I would need no harness as there just ain't no room for me to go anywhere.
;^)
Great handling even on the factory Bridgestone S-02 street tires.
Nice 50/50 weight balance.
Excellent brakes.
240 top end ponies but only 150 or so foot/pounds of low end grunt. (typical
VTEC)
A tach that is very hard to redline.  ;^)
Should make a fine AS car. (We told him that locally we'd put him in AS.)

Over all, a very finely balanced car that will take a bit of gear rowing to
keep up in the power band, but will reward the driver greatly if done
correctly.  I see a new car listed in the 2000 Nationals results top spots
in AS.  ;^)

BTW, he said that he only paid $4K over sticker for it.

Still too rich for my blood.  Wait a year and they'll go for sticker price
again, just like the initial Miata craze.

That is all, and Mark, the check's in the mail.  I'm just thankful we aren't
asked to pay based on the # of posts we make.  ;^)

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Then we race together.  We can ride forever
Wrapped in horsepower, driving into fury
Changing gear I pull you tighter to me
I'm your turbo lover.  Tell me there's no other.
I'm your turbo lover.  Better run for cover
"Turbo" by Judas Priest