Re: Buick Aluminum V8's

To: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>, jwalter@ptra.com
Subject: Re: Buick Aluminum V8's
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 05:32:58 -0700 (PDT)

--- John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com> wrote:
> 1275.  But I'm at a loss to know which Austin
> product would have had a
> 1500.  I do know that MG and Triumph both had them
> that size but
> Austin?!?!?!?  Can any other British Dog help?

A50 and A55 Cambridge sedans back in the Fifties
carried a 1500 engine.  Typical British small-bore
locomotive engine, no performance potential.

> No idea what those aluminum V8s are going for but
> I'll bet anybody
> with a TR8 would love to get his/her hands on a
> spare!

Those blocks are likely to have water jacket corrosion
if they are from Buicks.  Coolant back then didn't
have the right corrosion protection for Al...that's
one of the things that did the BOP V8 in.  (The main
thing was that Ford invented a thin wall casting
process for iron that made their lightweight iron
Fairlane V8 FAR cheaper to manufacture.  Chrysler and
AMC's aluminum sixes went away for the same reason.)

I'd guess a Range Rover might be a better candidate
for replacement TR8 blocks, though the deck height
might have grown in later years as displacement
increased.

Craig Blome