Using two Turner straps instead of harness?

To: autox@autox.team.net, phax@eng.kns.com
Subject: Using two Turner straps instead of harness?
From: "Marc J. Sibilia" <msibilia@ailr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:25:58 -0400
I have a 3" lap belt which I like, but I don't want to permanently install
a harness.

I have two questions:

1) Are Turner straps (loop of seatbelt webbing around the seat and torso)
 legal in stock class (in closed cars)?

I bought two torso straps from Racer Wholesale and tried one last weekend.
I found it very constrictive for breathing if it was tight enough to really
hold me.  This week I was playing around with the other and I found a way
using both to act almost like a harness.  It is quite comfortable because
it doesn't squeeze my chest and holds me very well.  I always use the OEM
seatbelt for safety.  The torso straps have plastic clasps and are not
designed for collision.

2) If Turner straps are legal, is using two as shown below legal?

This diagram must be viewed with a fixed-width font to make sense:

       /---------\
       | Headrest|
       \_________/
         |     |
        /|\   /|\ Straps go over top of seat
     --|--------|--  around headrest supports and
   /   |        |   \   cross over behind seat
  |    |  /  \  |    |
  |    |        |    |
  |    |        |    |Seatback
  |  / |        | \  |
  |    V        V    |
  |    V        V    |
  |\   |        |   /| V's are clasps
 Straps loop through lapbelt

It seems this would solve the problem some people have about drilling holes
in their cars.  Plus, it's cheap and portable.

Marc Sibilia
NNJR SCCA
77 DS 98 Neon ACR 4dr Blue