Re: help w/ shipping wheel/tires

To: Mike Neary <zoomie@qis.net>
Subject: Re: help w/ shipping wheel/tires
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:23:36 -0700

Mike Neary wrote:

> I need to ship 4 wheels with tires mounted and was wondering if
> anyone could offer some good advice on the best way to
> accomplish this.  I know when I get my tires they are usually
> bound together in twos, but have no idea if this is the way to do
> tires on rims.  Also, air in or out?

I think shipping loose tires is easily done with a UPS label slapped on
them. It is cheaper to ship them together than separate normally, which
is why you often see them bundled in twos. That may probably not be true
for rims/tires as the weight is more...but it may be worth checking
into.

With rims on them, I think it makes sense to box them up or at least put
circles of cardboard on the outsides of the rims and use packing tape to
secure the cardboard. If the rims are nice and you don't want them
damaged, I would go for the full box. You could also wrap them in a very
heavy plastic and use lots of packing tape. I would not underestimate
the amount the damage that can be done in transit by the Brown Santas
(UPS drivers).

You can calculate at UPS's website what the costs would be depending on
size/weight. http://www.ups.com/

Randy Chase