Re: Appearance kits: sp legal?

To: William Schenker <schenker@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Appearance kits: sp legal?
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:30:44 -0700
William Schenker wrote:

> the idea is to get
> one that comes with additional/larger intake holes to run some ducting to my
> air intake:  is this legal in SP?

If you contemplate ADDING parts, but leaving all the original ones
there, it possibly is legal. Read the front spoiler allowance to make
sure that you're in full compliance with that.

> I looked at sec. 14.2 F and it says that, "Spoilers and cosmetic trim pieces
> are permitted."  Further, it states; "The intent of this allowance is to
> accomodate commonly available appearence kits, and replicas therof..."

I don't see any allowance for replacing original body/trim parts,
however.

>  The
> kits I'm interested in would not change the shape of the bumper, but would
> be diiferent below and next to the grill opening - they would be an intergal
> bumper/spoiler assembly.

Sounds like that would not be legal. Is the original bumper still in
there somewhere? If not, then it's verboten.

>  Do you folks think that this rule only allows
> different-than-stock "chin" spoilers, i.e., the 3"-4" spoilers that one can
> attach to the bottom of the plastic bumper assembly as stated in 14.2 F.1?

I've seen many non-original airdams in SP, and I'm not aware of any
protests of same. However, all these cars retained all the original
factory parts and just added the airdam.

Jay