Re: Sway Bars (more!)

To: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: Sway Bars (more!)
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 17:00:15 -0700
Scott Meyers wrote:

> Russ Bowlus wrote:
> >
> > Scott Meyers writes:
> >
> > >Note - It seems that we should specify (if and when
> > >this ever happens) that "one end or the other" can be
> > >*changed*, but that a rear bar may not be added when
> > a >factory one does not *exist*. Or that may have been
> > >thought of already.
> >
> > Then what's the point?  You've now created a rule that
> > excludes all of us whose cars only came with a front
> > bar.  A good part of your target group...
>
> I thought I read from original posts "*change* one end or the other".
> That was different than "or add to an end without".
>
> So, I could be wrong. I thought that the original intent was that, but
> if this addresses an area that would accomplish the goal - of adding
> more competitive cars to the 'preferred' list - then not a problem.
>
> Again, I would only favor the sway bar rule modification if it is highly
> likey that it would create a few more competitive cars within existing
> class structures. If it would cause the sky to fall, then not worth it.
> Say, was that a raindrop I felt..........?

        Why can't you have it to allow "one end or the other" even in the event
that is allows one to be added on? I know that it creates a car that was
never available that way. But so too does adding a front sway bar onto a
car that was never originally equipped with one. Sure, most if not all
cars today have at least some skinny little front sway bar, but not all
cars were so equipped (or blessed) by the factory that made them. The
rules specifically allow for it.

"Substitution, addition or removal of any front anti-roll bars is permitted."

        So I say give it to 'em. An either-or situation. Yes, there is a good
chance that some cars will rise above their otherwise meager potential,
and yes it's also possible that the fast cars will only get faster.

        Aww nuts... just go Street Prepared and be done with it. If y'all want
to tweak suspensions, do it in a class that allows it. I say have stock
cars STOCK.

        Hmm, it's been a really long day, maybe I shouldn't have written that.
Maybe I should just delete it and not even sen....

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/