Re: Prepared suspension rules Q

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Prepared suspension rules Q
From: Stan Whitney <dp25sdw@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:44:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- bruce haden <bhaden@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> At 10:09 PM 10/21/99 -0500, Phil Ethier wrote:
> >From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
> >

> >>In 15.5.A in the book, it says "Any springs or
> torsion
> >>bars may be used in the vehicle's original
> suspension
> >>configuration."  What does "configuration" mean
> here
> >>exactly?  Can the type of spring be changed?
> (e.g.
> >>coil springs for a transverse leaf spring)
> >

> >That's what they mean by "configuration".  Changing
> from a transverse-leaf
> >setup to a coil-spring setup would be changing the
> configuration and is
> >therefore not allowed.  Putting in a different
> transverse-leaf spring (with
> >the same length eye-to-eye if the spring also acts
> as a control arm) is not
> >changing the configuration, and is therefore
> allowed.
> >
> Ahhhh. Not so. There is another section (don't have
> it off hand) that says,
> approximately..."Alternately, all cars may fit
> coil-over units..." I read
> that to mean
> you can put just about  anything under the car. I
> never found anything to
> nullify that conclusion. The only limit I can see is
> that you have to keep
> it live axle or independent as originally equipped.
> Comments??? Am I right?

I'd have to agree with that,

The way it looks is you can change spring, shock, and
suspensions components and pickups, and convert from
struts (or anything else - swing axles?) to A-Arms in
the front, and retain the the rear as the same
configuration - or convert to a beam/live axle.

Lots of freedom, except in the rear of the car.

Stan Whitney

=====