Re: wheel question

To: <washburn@dwave.net>
Subject: Re: wheel question
From: "Mike Healy" <mapman1138@interaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:05:14 -0500
>> Autox related content: I've run at a total of 4 events over the last
year.
>> All of them have been at a Kart track. This weekend I'm trying a
>> "cone-field" for the first time. I am apprehensive, to say the least. Any
>> advice? Or should I just resign myself to getting lost a few times?
>>

>Walk, walk, walk.  Get it in your head.  I usually try to remember the
>course in sections, which can help.  Additionally, one of the best
>tricks I have found is to pick out and "see" only those cones that are
>critical to your line. Usually entry, apex, and exit.  The rest of the
>cones simply so not matter.  It helps you ignore the rest of the "sea".
>
>Good luck, and let us know what your thoughts are.

You asked for it.

I'm happy to say that I had a good time, though I did not drive well, to say
the least! I walked the course 2 and a half times (my run group got called
in the middle of the third time through). I never got lost, though I did DNF
because I missed one gate on my second run.

The change from track to sea-of-cones was a big one for me, as I could never
really concentrate totally on driving - there was always a significant
portion of my [admittedly small] brain working on the problem of navigation.
I hope that this is just a temporary mental block on my part, as it was very
frustrating to deal with. I never could ignore the rest of the "sea".

On a lighter note, my fiance ran for the first time. She is a very
conservative driver, and I would describe her initial technique as similar
to somone driving through a mall parking lot looking for a good space. She
did improve, however.

>We are faced with a
>boatload of new generation autocrossers in the Twin Cities that have
>*never* seen a parking lot event.  (They ran a track type setting like
>you.)  We may have to indoctrinate a bunch of folks to this "new" type
>of autocrossing next season, and I am curious as to what your thoughts
>are after your first experience with one.

I'd say that there should be some sort of semi-formal supervised course walk
for the newbies (especially if there's a glut of them), perhaps some
generous veteran conducting it. Do it 15-20 minutes before the safety
meeting. My walks got me through the course, without 'em I woulda been
totally lost.

>Have fun!!

I did.

Thanks to those of you who sent the [uniformly good] advice.

Mike Healy