My Duster and Plans for it...(Long!)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: My Duster and Plans for it...(Long!)
From: Travis Bailey <redline@pdnt.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:32:56 -0500
OK, in my intro I mentioned my car ('71 Plymouth Duster), but didn't
give any specs.  I'm used to writing in detail, but once again I'll try
to keep it slim.

Engine/Trans/Rear:
The engine is the original 340ci V-8.  It has been bored .030" over
stock, fitted with forged pistons, polished rods, and stock forged
crank.  Balancer is still to be chosen (any reccomendations?).  Some oil
passage modifications will be performed on the block.  Heads have been
reconditioned, and a 3-way valve job has been performed.  Camshaft and
valvetrain was going to be upgraded but to stay in the E-SP class I will
install a stock cam with HD stock rockers and pushrods.  For the
exahust, small tube headers and a 2 1/2" system with Flowmaster
mufflers.  Trans is an aluminum overdrive unit from a '76 Duster.  It's
a wide ratio but the OD is nice for the street with 3.91 gearing.  It's
fitted with a scattershield, and I'll be using a billet steel flywheel.
Rear is stock 8-3/4" with 3.91 gears and Sure-Grip diff.  Also planning
on using an aluminum radiator.

Interior:
Right now it's pretty much stripped.  Plans include the adaptation of
'95 Mustang seats, otherwise a pretty much stock restoration (save for a
tach and maybe a extra 2/3 gauge cluster), when money allows (I've only
got a part time job).  I will be replacing the stock shifter with a
Pistol Grip from a '71 Charger; very neat looking piece if you've never
seen one.  Probably a Grant steering wheel since nice original wheels
are no longer cheap!  Also a decent sterio for the long trips and being
a teenager it's also a given!  ;-)  Seriously though, I'm not planning
to chop this thing up.

Chassis:
Here's the part I'm not sure of.  If anything here isn't legal for the
Street Prep. class let me know!  Eventaully I want to install a
reinforced '73-later K-member for the better motor mounts and better
sway bar positioning (also more tire clearence).  1-1/8" front sway bar,
bib block torsion bars, and poly bushings except for the lower control
arms.  Maybe Magnum Forace Racing tubular upper comtrol arms if legal
and budget allows.  Rear suspesnion mostly stock except for big block
leaf springs and a 3/4" or so sway bar.  Shocks will probably be KYB's,
eventually either Rancho 5-way adjustables, Koni, or Edelbrocks (if they
work well for this purpose).  Also planning on subframe connectors and
maybe a 6 pt. cage (once again if they're legal).  The original 10"
front discs will eventually yeild to some 11.75" monsters with
Carbon-Metallic pads and braided lines.  Rear drums will remain at
10"x2.5" (stock).  Wheels to be decided, likely 15"x8" stock car wheels,
but if I win the lotto maybe some 16"x8" aluminum wheels (can't go much
bigger without major body mods).

I tried to be detailed enough so any little thing that's Illegal for SP
can be addressed but beilieve me you guys would probably fall over if
you saw how long it was in the first place.  I'll shut up now!  :-)

Travis Bailey (Rantoul, IL)
'71 Duster 340

"After all, what is a pedestrian?  He is a man who has two cars - one
being driven by his
wife, the other by one of his children." -R. Bradbury