Re: My Duster and Plans for it...(Long!)

To: redline@pdnt.com
Subject: Re: My Duster and Plans for it...(Long!)
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:02:56 CDT
Hi, Travis, I'm just down the road in Champaign.  Local clubs are very
active and we'd love to see you.  There's at least one more event this
season, check Central Illinois Region's website out:
http://www.soltec.net/~wcwagner/cir.html

I'll take a stab at this without a net (rulebook not handy) just to prove
how brave and stupid I am.  (recklessness impresses the chicks, you know)
I'm just a Stock class guy, so be skeptical of my judgement on any items'
legality.

Travis Bailey writes:

> Engine/Trans/Rear:
> The engine is the original 340ci V-8.
SP.
> fitted with forged pistons, polished rods, and stock forged
> crank.  Balancer is still to be chosen (any reccomendations?).  Some oil
> passage modifications will be performed on the block.  Heads have been
> reconditioned, and a 3-way valve job has been performed.
Beyond SP, maybe Prepared?
> install a stock cam with HD stock rockers and pushrods.  For the
> exahust, small tube headers and a 2 1/2" system with Flowmaster
> mufflers.  Trans is an aluminum overdrive unit from a '76 Duster.  It's
> a wide ratio but the OD is nice for the street with 3.91 gearing.  It's
> fitted with a scattershield, and
SP.
> I'll be using a billet steel flywheel.
Beyond SP, maybe Prepared?
> Rear is stock 8-3/4" with 3.91 gears and Sure-Grip diff.
SP, as long as Sure-Grip was offered on a Duster at some point.
> Also planning on using an aluminum radiator.
Beyond SP, maybe Prepared?
> Interior:
> Right now it's pretty much stripped.  Plans include the adaptation of
> '95 Mustang seats, otherwise a pretty much stock restoration (save for a
> tach and maybe a extra 2/3 gauge cluster), when money allows (I've only
> got a part time job).
SP lets you change seats, but the rest of the interior needs to be
complete and stock.
> I will be replacing the stock shifter with a
> Pistol Grip from a '71 Charger; very neat looking piece if you've never
> seen one.
I think this is beyond SP, since Dusters never had these, right?
> Probably a Grant steering wheel since nice original wheels
> are no longer cheap!  Also a decent sterio for the long trips and being
> a teenager it's also a given!  ;-)  Seriously though, I'm not planning
> to chop this thing up.
SP.
> Chassis:
> Here's the part I'm not sure of.  If anything here isn't legal for the
> Street Prep. class let me know!  Eventaully I want to install a
> reinforced '73-later K-member for the better motor mounts and better
> sway bar positioning (also more tire clearence).  1-1/8" front sway bar,
> bib block torsion bars, and poly bushings except for the lower control
> arms.
SP.
> Maybe Magnum Forace Racing tubular upper comtrol arms if legal
> and budget allows.
Beyond SP, maybe Prepared?
> Rear suspesnion mostly stock except for big block
> leaf springs and a 3/4" or so sway bar.  Shocks will probably be KYB's,
> eventually either Rancho 5-way adjustables, Koni, or Edelbrocks (if they
> work well for this purpose).
SP.
> Also planning on subframe connectors and
Ruh-roh, better not go there - lotsa folks want SFCs in SP, but they
aren't allowed.  Its like religion and politics, the camps are pretty
much equal in number and always crusading, but neither side appears likely
to get a majority.  Having said that, I'm sure someone will claim to be in
the majority and you'll see what I mean after about two weeks of hitting
the delete key.  OK in Prepared, I'm pretty sure.
> maybe a 6 pt. cage (once again if they're legal).
Legal even in Stock.
> The original 10"
> front discs will eventually yeild to some 11.75" monsters
Beyond SP.
> with Carbon-Metallic pads
OK even in Stock.
> and braided lines.
I don't remember...
> Rear drums will remain at
> 10"x2.5" (stock).  Wheels to be decided, likely 15"x8" stock car wheels,
> but if I win the lotto maybe some 16"x8" aluminum wheels (can't go much
> bigger without major body mods).
SP.

My best advice is order a rule book from SCCA ASAP.  Don't mod your car
beyond the limits of the class you feel you would like to be in.  That said,
CP is the perfect class to be in for someone who wants to do what you have
in mind.

SCCA tends to be boring and stodgy with car prep allowances, but you have
to keep in mind the principal benefit of this is it controls costs.
This is more important than anything else to me because I'm nothing if I'm
not budget-challenged.

Study the rules first, ask questions to be sure, then go for it!
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                         Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                              ITDS - TRIS