John Havranek drove Lucy!

To: autox@autox.team.net, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: John Havranek drove Lucy!
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 13:57:42 -0800
My weekend started off as the best way for the old age odometer. I'll only
say this once. I just turned thirty.

I was very concerned that this would be painful, but some very nice Bay Area
folks made it all nice and quiet and calm and painless. Arie and I went to
the Museum of Modern Art in San Fran, followed by Jamba Juice, my favorite
fast food. From there, we went to Berkeley for Thai food, where I was
delightfully surprised to find some of my most favorite autocrossers there
waiting for me. That was really nice. Then we went to a bar in North
Oakland, and I had some Guinness, my other favorite food. It was a most
perfect day!

The next day was an autocross in Stockton. It was by all accounts a most
perfect event. So, I'm standing there, and who do I see, but John Havranek!
He was just stopping by on his way to Lake Tahoe for some skiing. I hadn't
seen him in ten years! I've always wondered what happened to him, and there
he was in the parking lot! Looking pretty much the same!

I realize now probably not too many people know the name. He won the A Stock
National Championship in the mid-eighties in a Porsche 914-6. He was a very
controversial and colorful character, but when you're a teenager, you don't
care about that. I just thought he was the most KICK-ASS driver there was,
and I liked his Boston accent.

Well, he also let me drive his 914 all those years ago. I think he beat me
by like ten seconds a day. I was really slow. Back then, I thought I'd NEVER
be anything like John Havranek. He drove like an absolute madman, with
passion and flare. He made everyone else look boring.

So, this was my chance ten years later. He HAD to drive Lucy. I had to show
him how much I improved. "Hey John, I even got protested at Nationals!" I
told him. He seemed genuinely proud.

At last, I would show him the REAL ME.

"But Katie," he said. "I'll just beat you and you'll get depressed."

Well, after some nagging from my mom, he did enter the event. And guess
what. The old man beat me! By a stinkin' .015.

Well, .015 is better than ten seconds. I am choosing to ignore the fact that
John has never driven a Miata before, and hasn't even really autocrossed in
ten years.

Instead, I'll take it as proof that he IS the most kick-ass autocrosser
ever. I got the best driving lesson of my life, all recorded on Arie
Villasol's in-car video camera. What a fantastic birthday gift. I will study
this in preperation for John's next visit to the autocross, hopefully way
before my 40th birthday.

Thanks to everyone who made this b-day so special.

Katie

Katie Kelly
Technical Publications
SPSS Bay Area