Re: Superspeedways

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Superspeedways
From: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:54:23 -0600
do we really need these cars to go 230mph to have a good race?

As a racer/race enthusiast, the logic of this question completely escapes
me.  I doubt the other CART drivers are going to say "our cars are too fast,
we need to take it down around where the IRL guys are".  Racers don't have
that mindset.

No one gets more excited about safety, and life preserving measures than
racers, but by their very nature, they never want this at the expense of
horsepower.  Case in point, ever hear how much the NASCAR guys gripe about
restrictor plates?  Constantly.  We can't lay the lust for speed at the feet
of the fans.  I'm not talking about "fox TV" crash junkies, but real fans.
Without racers constantly pushing the limits, fans wouldn't know any better.
They'd be perfectly happy with 130mph racing, but racers put that number
behind a long time ago.

Bottom line is, would racers compete at 230mph on a Superspeedway if there
weren't a single fan in attendance?  You bet they would.  Who on this list
wouldn't give their right arm to go around the Indy oval in less than 50
seconds?

-brad
(not being cold hearted, just realistic)