Re: small car trailer for sale

To: "Don Miller" <turbospl311@yahoo.com>, <jhadler@rmi.net>
Subject: Re: small car trailer for sale
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 17:12:18 -0600
FWIW, this sounds very similar to the trailer I've been using for more than
20 years. I haul a DP Spitfire (GP for roadrace) on it. Single axle,
unsprung, no trailer brakes. I've pulled it with an AMC Matador and then
with a couple of Chevy vans. Never had any control problems that you might
associate with a no-brakes trailer. Mostly, I think, because my tow vehicle
was big enough to handle it.

My Spitfire's book weight is 1405 lbs, but the car is about 100 pounds
overweight. The trailer weighs in at about 700, light enough I can pick the
tongue up and walk it about the paddock or driveway. The bed (two ramps,
open in the middle) sits down between the trailer wheels. When the car is on
it, the trailer wheels are right beside the car's doors and I can only open
the door a crack, but fender flares are well above the top of the trailer
tires.

It is a tilt-bed, but I've almost never used the tilt feature. It has a pair
of wooden ramps with metal clips at the end that lock into the tail of the
trailer bed. Neat because they are cheap, light, and easily replaceable. I
just get a new 2x6 board and make new ramps, bolting the clips on. It came
with 4-foot ramps, but I went to 5-footers to get a better load angle. Nice
that I could make that change so easily.

I bought it from a fellow who towed an MGB on it. He said the trailer tended
to wander with his car on it, but with mine it tows straight and true at
well above 80 mph. I suspect my lighter weight may have something to do with
that. And maybe mine is just balanced better on the trailer. In an
emergency, I've put a VW Scirocco and a  Datsun 240Z on it (but didn't tow
either one very far or very fast).

So, if you have a small roadster or a formula car of the Vee/Ford size,
Don's trailer may be just right for you. It also does not catch highway
crosswinds much like those big boxes do.

--Rocky