Re: Speedways and Greg Moore's hit

To: Mdmtrsport@aol.com
Subject: Re: Speedways and Greg Moore's hit
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 12:23:23 -0500
> God knows I am not an expert, but Richie's impact did not subject him to the
> same forces. He hit relatively sideways-flat. So the energy got spread
> throughout the car. Greg Moore hit damn near in the non protected portion of
> the cockpit, the weak point/Achilles heel of the open cockpit car. Almost the
> entire force of impact was directly in the cockpit. So I would venture that
> physics being physics, you had the same forces concentrated on the head of
> pin, versus the shaft of the same pin.

I agree. Obviously, the outcome was very different. But I don't think
that guessing at G forces the driver was subjected to is going to
provide much detail as to what killed Greg Moore.

And I also think I overreacted to the graphic image that arose in my
mind when I read the post. Sorry about that. It has now been over 30
hours since the tragedy and I am still not over it...

Paul Foster