Re: 93 MR2 Setup

To: Brad Holliday <bradholliday@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 93 MR2 Setup
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 15:11:41 -0800

Brad Holliday wrote:

> I just bought a 93 MR2 Turbo and wondering what the differences in setting
> it up are compared to a 91.  I wrecked my 91 coming home from Nationals.

What happened?

> My 91 had the following setup:
>
> Alignment:
> -3 degs camber/front (smallest diameter crash bolts), -2 degs/rear
> 0 toe on the front, 1/4" toe-in on the back
> Maximum negative caster (around -5 deg) (I've read that this isn't
> adjustable on the 93')

I heard it was not adjustable on the 93+ cars also. I think the rest of
the settings are close, except you may want to try a little less toe in
on the rear and you may want some toe out on the front, depending on
your front bar choice. The 93 will tend to understeer a lot more than
your 91 did....but on the other hand, since you ran a full ST bar, it
may not be that much different.

> Tires:
> 225/50/14's all the way around w/ 1/4" spacers on the front
>
> Can you do the same thing w/ the 15" wheels or are 205's required up front?

I had 205s up front on a 93 MR2. I have heard some drivers using 225s up
front on them with spacers, but it may depend on which tire brand.

> Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustable shocks - 5 front/3 rear
>
> ST front sway bar - Unmodified

I would highly recommend not doing this. I would modify it. Since LSD
was an option in 93, did your car come with it? If not, you might want
to consider an ST bar, but softened. You also may want to try a TRD bar,
but my experience on a 93 with a TRD and no LSD was that I had too much
insider rear wheel spin. A full ST bar will make the car push a lot. You
may find that your strut settings will also be different....perhaps
softer up front...but it will depend on what you do for a front bar.

> Replaced muffler with L-pipe
>
> K&N air filter

Hope that helps. You may want to talk to some of the 93+ MR2 drivers
such as Thomas Harrington and Taka. In fact, just copy whatever Thomas
did (except arrange better weather at Nationals).

Randy Chase