Re: Defect Free (was: TT Recall)

To: dkyeung@juno.com
Subject: Re: Defect Free (was: TT Recall)
From: "Chris Marsh" <cmarsh90@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 12:30:10 PST

>makes perfect sense to me.  They sold you a product not in "whatever
>condition" but with a warranty that it will be free of defects.  that's
>essentially what a warranty is.  I don't know what line of work you're in
>but I'd guess that you'd want your customer to have the best error free
>product possible and if you offered a warranty on your work/product you'd
>want to fix it right if you found an error or mistake in it after
>delivery.  Additionally, there is the potential that the defective part
>will cause damage/premature wear to other parts. Hence if you don't have
>the correction made, they should not be liable for related problems down
>the line.  Reputable manufacturers from all walks do it all the time
>(e.g. software patches and updates)

What you say makes sense, and usually the warrant repairs do not adversely
affect performance, but this particular recall bothers me for 2 reasons (I
guess since its voluntary its a moot point but bear with me), they are going
to futz with the swaybars which may or may not help performance as it
relates to autoxing and the biggest thing is that they are adding a rear
spoiler which may add or detract significantly from the looks of the car
depending on your view.  My point here is that if I buy a car with certain
performance characteristics I want those characteristics maintained
(especially if its an autox car), if they manufacturer says "we have to slow
your car down because of a recall and you have to do it" i'd be kind of
pissed.  Example: the 97 Integra R's were impounded because of a throttle
return issue that had a throttle that was "too responsive" according to the
EPA and left unburnt gasses in the engine, if you ask me thats a performance
characteristic I would like, fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) the
problem was fixed before the cars went to the public, but if I had gotten
mine before that I wouldn't be real happy about having to get that changed.
Clear as mud?  Good:)

Chris Marsh