RE: STU News!

To: "Thompson, Adrian (A.L.)" <athomps9@visteon.com>
Subject: RE: STU News!
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:41:35 -0500

> Dennis, I need a clarification.

I'm not an SCCA official, I just play one on TV. :)

> Does '6.0 liters any type, naturally
> aspirated' mean you can use a 351W block in a Mustang?.  The reason I ask > is
the 351 only came in the Cobra 'R' and that was a two seater, or has
> the 'any block from the same platform' line made it into the final rules?

Exactly what the final wording looks like, I don't know - and won't know for
100% until Dec 1, but I would say "yes".

- A Mustang is a Ford
- Any Ford engines are allowed in a Ford, subject to displacement limits
- A 351 block is what, 5.8l? That's smaller than 6.000.

So as long as it's not supercharged/turbocharged, IMHO, it's legal.

> Also as someone else pointed out for 'F' bodies, bolt in subframe
> connectors are useless in a Mustang.

Sucks to be you then. I'm sorry to be so cavalier, but one of the central tenets
of SM (nee STU) is that a welding torch should never be allowed anywhere near
the car. We are a bolt-on class, at least as far as chassis is concerned. That
means NO welded cages, NO seam welding, NO welded braces, and NO welded subframe
connectors.

"But my 1000 HP motor will twist my poor chassis like a pretzel if I can't have
my welded-in subframe connectors!" Then don't build a 1000HP motor. Build a 350
HP motor and live with the chassis limitations. See how that works?

If you want to weld stuff onto your car, CP beckons.

DG