STU News!

To: autox@autox.team.net, talon@dsm.org
Subject: STU News!
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:02:28 -0500

Well, I've just heard from King Howie regarding STU, and I've got some info to
pass along:

1) Street Touring Unlimited has been renamed "Street Modified" This is to help
distinguish the class from Street Touring, and all the associated misconceptions
(like "STU is a street tire class" etc)

We now stand on our own two feet as a separate entity

2) The displacement limits are now as follows:

1.5 litres rotary engine, super/turbocharged
3.0 litres OHC engine, super/turbocharged
4.0 litres pushrod engine, super/turbocharged
6.0 litres any type, naturally aspirated

It wasn't explicitly confirmed, but I assume that the "front engine, four seat"
formula still applies.

Yes, that means Mustangs, Camaros, et. al. are now allowed in The Class Formally
Known As STU. Yes, you can change camshafts, and yes, bolt-in subframe
connectors ARE ALLOWED. And there was much rejoicing!

NOTE: All you Mustang/Camaro types that have been bitching to the SCCA that if
subframe connectors and camshaft changes were allowed in SP you'd double
participation, it's time to pony up!

3) Howard is still mucking with the rules wording. He has promised to send me a
draft version soon so I can comment on it, as long as I don't post it to the
'net (He's worried about people taking a draft standard as gospel) The aim is to
have the rules finalized (and in my hands, where I can post them to the 'net) by
1 December.

I've been told that "there shouldn't be any suprises" in the draft - the actual
language may be different, but the intent is the same. Howard and I are on the
same page here.

Now I have to go change the STU Homepage (www.wincom.net/trog/stu/) into the
Street Modified Homepage. :)

DG