Re: 2000 McKamey Schools

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, <Hottvr@aol.com>, <CALHOUN65@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: 2000 McKamey Schools
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 06:12:25 -0500
At 10:27 PM 11/14/1999 -0600, Phil Ethier wrote:
 Since all Solo2-legal
>cars have street-legal exhaust, the ability to communicate with the
>instructor shouldn't be substantially worse than other open cars.

Not true. Sound levels (and hence amount of muffler), are determined by
site restrictions. We run straight pipes at Nationals and many other sites.
However, an unmuffled FF or S2 is commonly less noisy than unmuffled cars
like Neons or a ZL1 Corvette or recent Porsche "911" (HEARD both yesterday)!

I have not been to a McKamey School so I don't know the format. However,
the major problem with a mod/prepared/or "old (especially British but not
limited to any country of origin) car of any type, besides seats, could be
time and effort between runs and the cool down, battery charging time, tire
temp and cleaning, etc. needed to turn the car around.

My stock and mildly street prepared Datsun 260Z and Lotus Europa both had
the need for cool down, etc between runs. Folks with modern cars don't know
how things have changed!

Maybe I'll just sacrifice a set of tires on my Mustang GT automatic.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford