Re: New thoughts on Roll cages in SP or SM

To: "Thompson, Adrian (A.L.)" <athomps9@visteon.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New thoughts on Roll cages in SP or SM
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:23:21 -0600
From: Thompson, Adrian (A.L.) <athomps9@visteon.com>

>SP say's any allowable mod in stock and SM say's any allowable mod in stock
>or SP OK?
>
>Now, Stock say's you can prepare a vehicle to either the stock reg's OR
>Showroom stock reg's.

Yes, but...  The real stock rules are the basic rules.  The Showroom Stock
road-race rules are an option.  A case can be made that the Showroom Stock
option is for use in Stock Category ONLY, and that the Improved Touring
option is for use in the Street Prepared category ONLY.

The rule says:
 13.  STOCK Preamble:  Cars listed as eligible in and prepared to the
 current national Showroom Stock Club Racing rules are permitted to
 compete in their respective Solo II Stock Classes.  Neither Showroom
 Stock nor Solo II Stock cars are permitted to interchange preparation
 rules.  [1998 book]

To me, this does NOT make the Showroom Stock rules part of the Solo2 rule
book.  Nor does it establish these rules as an alternative set of rules for
Stock Category.  What it DOES do is allow any individual Showroom Stock car
to compete in a Stock Category class.  I don't believe that creates
portability of Showroom Stock rules to Street Prepared.

Also, look at the Street Prepared rule:
 [Street Prepared Category Preamble]  A vehicle may compete in Street
 Prepared Category if the preparation of the vehicle has not exceeded the
 allowable modifications of Stock Category, except as specified below.
 [1998 book]

The Showroom Stock car was not legal due to the "allowable modifications of
Stock Category".  It was legal due to being accepted as a WHOLE, including
the "allowable and required modifications" of Showroom Stock.

>Showroom stock allows weld in roll cages etc.  So can
>you have a weld in roll cage (with all other SS requirements)  claim that's
>stock legal (which it is) then go on to use the rest of the SP or SM legal
>changes?

Even if you successfully argued that, you might trip yourself up in hidden
gotchyas.  Consider that you would have to be 100% legal in Showroom Stock,
and then add on the items specifically allowed in addition to the Showroom
Stock rules you were claiming for the stock car.  This may prevent you from
doing a lot of things which are pretty much taken for granted in Street
Prepared, since they are allowed in the REGULAR Stock Category rules.  Since
I don't have a Showroom Stock rule book in my back pocket, any example I
give would be purely speculative.  I suppose you would have to remove the
steering-column lock and so on.

>Adrian Thompson

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro (SOLD), Saturn SL2, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/