Low Profile Tires & Camber

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Low Profile Tires & Camber
From: Bob Monday <boysrus_racing@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:18:25 -0800 (PST)
My son has lowered his Honda (new springs) and gained about 2 degrees
of camber on the fronts in the process. Tires are 205-40x17 (w-i-d-e),
and with the light car, he's only running on the inside edge except
when autocrossing. Tire wear is rapid on that inside edge, but the wear
pattern doesn't point to poor alignment (toe). Will running less air
pressure decrease tire wear by enlarging the contact patch, or would
that be negated by flex/squirm and risk of rim damage? What is the
minimum recommended pressure in that situation? Camber correctoin is
probably the best long-term solution, but I was wondering in the
meantime.

Since I can theorize as well as anyone, I'd appreciate responses from
people with personal knowledge of the issue <g>.

Bob Monday
Boys-R-Us Racing

=====