Re: Low Profile Tires & Camber

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Low Profile Tires & Camber
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:55:38 -0500

Bob Monday <boysrus_racing@yahoo.com>

> My son has lowered his Honda (new springs) and gained about 2 degrees
> of camber on the fronts in the process.

You say "about" - is that "about" because you're guesstimating, or because the
alignment sheet said -1.9823 and you're rounding off?

In other words, have you aligned the car?

> Tires are 205-40x17 (w-i-d-e),

Heh, that's not particularly wide for a 17". :)

> Tire wear is rapid on that inside edge, but the wear
> pattern doesn't point to poor alignment (toe).

While the world is full of people just itching to sell you a camber correction
kit, what many don't realize is that most of the sport compact type cars have a
fair amount of bump steer - as you lower, you not only gain negative camber, you
also get toe out.

Toe EATS tires in a hurry. Camber actually isn't all that bad.

If you are seeing _accelerated_ wear, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts (Tim
Horton's, please) that you have a toe out condition. If you are seeing a normal
wear rate, but only on the inside half of the tire, then you have a camber
"problem".

If you haven't done so, align the car. Not only will this fix any toe problem,
it'll let you know just how much camber you got when you lowered the car.

DG

The Street Modified Home Page - http://www.wincom.net/trog/stu/