RE: New thoughts on roll cages in SP and SM

To: "'Kevin Wenzel'" <kwenzel@rmsolo.org>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New thoughts on roll cages in SP and SM
From: "Thompson, Adrian (A.L.)" <athomps9@visteon.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:42:30 -0500
I realize that if I want to use a vehicle to SS (Showroom stock) rules in
stock I need to comply fully with those rules and only those rules.  That's
basically cage, fire extinguisher seat brace window net etc.  And I couldn't
do other allowed stock class mods such as free sway bars and shocks, so I'm
not trying to mix and match SS and stock rules.  BUT  If I then move up to
street prepared or Street Mod I have a base vehicle that's stock legal, can
I now start applying other street prepared mods too it.  I think it's a gray
area in the rules but one with a very real auto-x implication.  Look at all
the showroom stock vehicles that have become obsolete now trunk kit's are
allowed.  Ton's of Neon's which aren't competitive in IT so they're
worthless on the market which means they're cheap.  That would be a good
basis for a fun SP or SM car don't you think?

P.S.  Unlike IT, SS does not require you to remove the steering lock or fit
an external kill switch.

Adrian Thompson