Re: gooey tires

To: Christopher Roger Cammack <cmack@WPI.EDU>
Subject: Re: gooey tires
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:34:39 -0600
Chris,

Both Goodyear and Hoosier make 13 inch slicks in several sizes and
several compounds.  Size will be dependent on wheel width and
backspacing for clearance.

But, before you guys go out and spend the money on a set of new slicks
to experiment with, I would suggest you call John Berget
(414-740-0180) up in Wisconsin.  Tell him what size you need and what
you're looking for.  He sells *used* Goodyear slicks in just about
every size and compound you could imagine.  (about $50 max plus
shipping for 13s)  They're usually take-off qualifying tires from
Formula Fords and have anywhere from 1/2 to full tread plus some
pickup rubber.  Once you get all the pickup rubber scrubbed off and
get down to the real deal, you might want to get some Formula V from
Rocky to take them back to their original softness.  Then you can get
a pretty good gauge of how good they're going to work without having
to buy new ones.

I think the softest he sells in a 13 inch is R160.  I tried to get
some R095s from him a couple of years ago and he refused to sell them
to me. Said there was some sort of a problem with that compound in my
size (13x6.5-20)

Hope that helps

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman