Re: mr2's in D prepared

To: <dagosti@sfu.ca>, <mr2-digest@mr2.com>
Subject: Re: mr2's in D prepared
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 06:44:17 -0600
>According to one of the newer SCCA tech bulletins the 1st gen. MR2 (85-89 -
although the bulletin lists it as 84-89) moves to DP, BUT, the listing says
specifically "84-89 MR2 (E Production Specifications)"

>This has me puzzled. Does this mean that if I prepare an MR2 to the solo
prepared rules I run in AP (where it's currently listed). But if I prepare
it to the E production road racing specs. I run in a different prepared
class - DP.

>This is how I read it, but this concept doesn't make sense to me. Can
anyone enlighted me?

that's how I read it too, and it's probably because of the allowances in the
E Production ring.  I don't know what's allowed in EP, but it is most likely
preparation at a level below that of prepared.  Since a car prepared
to EP rules would theoretically be at a disadvantage to cars prepared to
the Solo II Prepared rules, the EP car would have to be classified at a
lower level in order for it to be competitive.  DP sure is a lot lower than
AP, though....I think I'll have to break out the GCR.

It's kind of like the rule that an Improved Touring car can run in Street
Prepared.  While IT allows you to gut the interior and remove all of
the undercoating and sound insulation, you MUST run a full roll cage,
your tires must fit within the wheel wells, and there is less you can do
to the engine than you could under SP rules.  A lot of people look at
my 85 and balk at the fact that I run without a passenger seat sometimes,
but this is an IT allowance.  Since I'm running under IT rules, I cannot
run the 225/50-13s that everyone else runs (or something even wider),
as I'm stuck with a 14x7 wheel that stays within the plane of the fender.
I also don't have nearly as many of the engine allowances as you get in
SP.

David Hawkins
93T EM
85 CSP/ITA