Re: mr2's in D prepared

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mr2's in D prepared
From: dagosti@sfu.ca (david agosti)
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 09:52:01 -0800
I wrote:

*snip*

>>This has me puzzled. Does this mean that if I prepare an MR2 to the solo
>prepared rules I run in AP (where it's currently listed). But if I prepare
>it to the E production road racing specs. I run in a different prepared
>class - DP.
>>
>>This is how I read it, but this concept doesn't make sense to me. Can
>anyone enlighted me?

Then Dave wrote:

*snip*

>It's kind of like the rule that an Improved Touring car can run in Street
>Prepared.  While IT allows you to gut the interior and remove all of
>the undercoating and sound insulation, you MUST run a full roll cage,
>your tires must fit within the wheel wells, and there is less you can do
>to the engine than you could under SP rules.  A lot of people look at
>my 85 and balk at the fact that I run without a passenger seat sometimes,
>but this is an IT allowance.  Since I'm running under IT rules, I cannot
>run the 225/50-13s that everyone else runs (or something even wider),
>as I'm stuck with a 14x7 wheel that stays within the plane of the fender.
>I also don't have nearly as many of the engine allowances as you get in
>SP.

I know this, and it's actually this exact thing that has me puzzled. You're
allowed to prepare your car to IT specs OR SP specs. In either case you're
in the same class (CSP). There's some sort of pre-amble to the prepared
rules that say something about if you're prepared to GT rules you run in a
specific prepared class (the whole controversy with the Fordahl Porsche this
year). So I could understand if they said you can run a E production MR2 (or
any production class car for that matter) in it's repsective prepared class.
But what I can't understand is why they'd place it in a DIFFERENT prepared
class. You're essentially creating a new class. I will be buying a set of
road race rules and saying "is my MR2 more likely to be competitive with
loti under identical prepared rules, or with X1/9's with me running
production rules and them running prepared rules". Now I've always thought
that the MR2 properly belonged in DP with like cars (fiero 4cyl and X1/9)
but this still doesn't make sense to me.

David

               Veni, Vedi, Velcro:
               I came, I saw, I stuck around!