Re: DG's Physics question

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: DG's Physics question
From: connelly <connelly@gs.verio.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:23:48 -0600
"Seeley, Dale E" wrote:

> He lines his Talon up next to a Neon at the Florida Prosolo in February.
> His Talon weighs a lot more than the SM Neon does, but has superior launch
> characterics due to the awd.  He wants to know how much deeper the Neon can
> go before braking, assuming both cars are limited to 225 width tires of a
> similar compound, they were side-by-side and accelerating at the same rate
> just prior to reaching the braking point for the Talon, and Daddio (alien

How sharp is the turn?  How long is it? Does it open up? What is the next gate
like?  Can the Neon hold it's speed through the turn? Does the Talon brake
quicker from 50 down to 20?  There are too many variable to accurately answer
the question?

We could take a turn, fix all the variables and calculate which car would do
better.  Then move a cone on the next gate 3'.  Everything we just did is
worthless.  Change the angle of approach, need new calculations.  Coefficient of
tire friction changes with track temps, need new calculations.  Driver sneezes
at the entrance to the corner, got to factor that in - new calculations.

--
Wavin'
Connelly H