Re: fiziks

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fiziks
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:00:21 EST
I wrote :

> > No, not in the real world. In the real world the light car will be
> > significantly ahead by the 1st turn. Something about getting that 2m
> > moving (a body not in motion tends to stay not in motion). Ever see
> > a Honda kill a V8 or fast 6 at a pro solo launch, or say an Elan vs a
> > ZR-1, right  BOB?

DG replied :

> Heh, ever see 3000+ lbs of all wheel drive Talon smoke a... well,
> pretty well everything to the first turn?

Apples and oranges, you can't bring in AWD to the equation.
Of course you will beat anything (well almost anything...)

> If the power is there, and the traction is there, then both m and 2m can
> accelerate at the same rate and arrive at the same place on the track
> moving at the same speed - in the real world. Where it all goes to pot is
> that first turn.

But in the real world traction IS a problem - no front engine
rear wheel drive autox car over 3000 Lbs
can put down the power and leave the line as well as a 1500 pound car
at a pro solo launch. That is why the small cars usually beat
a big car to the 1st turn when the power to weight ratios are
the same or close. You cannot overlook traction as it compounds
the problem of momentum. The 3000 pound car does not have tires
that are twice as wide. Most small cars use at least a 205, I have
seen very few 410mm wide tires.

and "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com> replied :

> Hmmm..... Maybe that'll be Warren Johnson's next NHRA Pro Stock car, a
> Honda. I seem to recall that the fastest Honda at the Import Drag Nats
> weighed about a third of a Pro Stck car, had both, a turbo, and nitrous, and
> still couldn't beat a Pro Stock car, which is normally aspirated and still
> runs on gas alone. In the real world, it's all about power and traction.

Again this is not relevant, the 1/4 mile has to do with
top end power, of course a hemi will beat anything.
Autocross starts do not usually include speeds much over 100MPH.
The Honda drag cars also have FDW which does not
help their launches against the wheelstanding Hemis.
Maybe the rice boyz should run in reverse?? :-)

P.S. "Scotty *BOB* White" <we2fat4asp@seanet.com> wrote :

> I respectfully dissagree, so far the *BEST* BSP Corvette is not for
> sale and it is a blue 72 LT1.
> The second best car is however for sale for $6,000 plus BSP options ;-)

OK, I'll take it, hold the options.

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S Targa, '73 911RS Replica

www.analogman.com/911 - my racing pages

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars   www.analogman.com