best way to clean windshield?

To: dragonflyc@juno.com
Subject: best way to clean windshield?
From: Curtis Strilchuk <cs75@netscape.net>
Date: 23 Nov 99 13:39:03 EST
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:49:05 -0500
  From: Thomas L Brewsaugh <dragonflyc@juno.com>
  Subject: non autox content: best way to clean windshield?

  May one of you team.netters can help me out. The windshield on my
  daughter's car is really streaked up. Its not to bad to drive in day
  light but is pure h**l at night. I have installed new wiper blades and
  used all the cleaners I have around the house with no luck.What makes
  this so important is she almost had a head on accident tonight due to
  miss judging distance when she tried to pass a motor cycle. Both the
  other car and cycle went off the road and I've just finished talking with
  the cycle rider as he followed her home.

  thanks for any help
  Tom Brewsaugh

Tom,
Is the car fairly high mileage / highway driven? Over time, the winsdshield
will get pitted from the sandblasting action of road grit, thrown up by the
vehicles ahead. The pits cause spurious, specular highlights at night, and
trap grime causing the streaks. No amount of cleaning or blade replacement
will help. If this is the problem, you'll have to replace the windshield. [Can
you sense the 'been there, done that' tone?  :) ] It worth it, though. You
literally won't believe what you can see!

Curtis Strilchuk
'86 RX-7