More Street Modified News!

To: autox@autox.team.net, talon@dsm.org, stu@onelist.com
Subject: More Street Modified News!
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:31:28 -0500
We're getting into the home stretch here - just got off the phone with Howard

- After much discussion, we've decided to allow weld-in subframe connectors,
with the following restrictions:
   + These are for Camaros, Mustangs, and Firebirds ONLY
   + You are allowed 2 longnitudnal connectors with 2 attachment points each.
   + Connectors may _not_ be connected to each other, triangulated, etc.
   + The exact language of the rule is yet to be determined, but this is the
gist of it.

- After reviewing the existing Stock rule, it was determined that weld-in roll
BARS (not cages) are in fact already allowed. This helps resolve a conflict with
the NHRA/IHRA/NIRA rules.

This means that there are two instances where welding chassis members is allowed
in SM - subframe connectors, and roll bars. Let's be clear on this - THAT'S IT!.
The line has been drawn! No more welding!

(See V8 guys, we _do_ listen to you. :)

- The maximum displacement limit is still 6.000 litres for all types of
naturally aspirated engines. Note that the NA allowence does not discriminate
between pushrod and OHC valve motors.

- A Street Modified Advisory Comittee (and a separate ST/STR comittee) will be
formed sometime after 1/1/2000. People who would like to serve on either
committee should e-mail Howard Duncan and let him know that they are interested.

I have submitted my nomination to sit on the SMAC. Note that we want to try and
get some breadth to this comittee, not only in car type, but geographically.
That means we need at least one V8 ponycar guy, one Honda/Type R guy, and one
Supercharged GM Pushrod Grand-Am type guy (or girl!) - and quite possibly one
Wankeler - to go along with my representation of the AWD Turbo contingent.
(Assuming, of course, that I am chosen to sit on the committee)

I'd appreciate it if people who want to sit on the SMAC would join the SM
Mailing List (www.wincom.net/trog/stu/ for more details) and announce their
intent there.

- The draft SM "official" rules should be in my hands by Wednesday of next week.
I will mark up my observations and resubmit them for the next day, so by the end
of next week I should have a good idea of what the "official" SM rules look
like.

- The next SportsCar will have an announcement of the SM name change, with a
more detailed article focusing on SM to follow in the next issue.

- SM was discussed by Our Man In Marketing at the SEMA show. Some manufacturer
interest was expressed - I don't have details. I'll try and get those soon. :)

- I was asked by Howard to pass along that things are VERY busy in the National
Office right now. If you've got New Business of any type that you want looked
at, it might be better to hold off until 1/1/2000. Luckily, SM is concidered Old
Business. ;)

Thanks to all those that gave me website feedback. Things are looking very good
in SM land.

DG