RE: BMW M3 Questions

To: "'Burns, James B.'" <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>,
Subject: RE: BMW M3 Questions
From: "Thomas, Skaria" <Skaria-Thomas@deshaw.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:11:02 -0500
I can give you technical info, but can't really help you as far as
compliance rules for AutoX is concerned:

Actually, '96+ had the bigger 3.2L motor and OBD-II.

> > 2.  Also regarding model years, what's the deal on authorized wheel
> > widths?  Can a '95 run 8.5" rear wheels?  I think I heard

The only '95 model M3 that did not come with 17x7.5 all around was the M3
LTW or Lightweight.  They had the 17x8.5 rears with 17x7.5 fronts.  I
believe you could have ordered the LTW wheels on the regular M3, but not
sure.

> > 3.  How about the traction control?  What year did that
> become available?
> > Can you switch it off?

Don't know.  I'm sure someone else will.

> > 4.  How much does it cost to prep one to the limit for
> stock class?  I
> > know that wheels, tires, shocks, exhaust, etc. are dang
> expensive for
> > these cars, but exactly how much?

exhaust is in the $700-$800 range depending on which one (Remus, SS, B&B,
etc)
Bilstein sport shocks: $550-600  (coilovers are obviously more)
Koni's: $600
H&R springs: $250 (regular and race... Eibachs are, I believe, more
expensive)
RD sway bars: $325
wheels: Fikse 17" wheels are $495/each from one BMW tuner.

At least, this gives an idea.  I am sure Bob and Mark will be able to give
you specifics.

Cheers,

-Skaria
///M3 Fan - 1995 M3