Re: A Saab for autox? Don't laugh too hard...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A Saab for autox? Don't laugh too hard...
From: JonesMB <jonesmb@ziplink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:52:39 -0600
>Has anyone seen the new Saab 9-3 Viggen?  Looks to be *fairly* competitive
at
>250 hp and ~260 lb-ft of torque, mostly between 3500 and 5000 rpm (and a
>torque limiting feature for 1st and 2nd).  Any thoughts as to the
>competitiveness of, um, a Saab?  Don't laugh too very hard, I thought it
>might be a sleeper in GS, if it goes there.  BTW, there will be 1000
imported
>to the US this year...

When you finish laughing, think about the Volvo S40.  It may not be much
but it does have a turbo-charged engine producing 160HP@5100rpm and
170lbs/ft at a low 1800rpm.  All it will have to propel is 2,990lbs.  If
they ever offer this with a 5 speed tranny and nice suspension it could be
another sleeper.

jmb