Re: 2000 Celica GT-S and Street Touring stuff

To: Chris Walton <carguychris@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 2000 Celica GT-S and Street Touring stuff
From: rweatherford@mindspring.com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:41:04 -0500
Chris Walton <carguychris@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy all,
I'm new to this list - just subscribed to it 3 days ago - so I apologize if
either of these topics has been beaten to death before 8-) 8-)

First off, I was wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on the 2000
Celica GT-S. I read that the SCCA has classified it in G Stock. I recently
drove one of these things, and I think this car is going to kick *ss and
take names in GS. In stock form, the GT-S has more grip, more power, more
brakes, less understeer and better gearing than any other G Stocker I've
ever driven, although I've never driven a Type R 8-) It honestly suprises me
that the GT-S is not in D Stock.
I can't afford one so I won't be able to test my theories, but I'm curious
if anyone's actually raced one yet 8-)

Second, I'm considering buying a 91-93 Nissan Sentra SE-R to race in Street
Touring. Anyone out there have any opinions on these cars as ST material?

All IMHO of course.

Chris Walton
1987 Toyota Camry

I drove one and was not that impressed.  It had nice shifting, handling, and
brakes.  But really lacked any low end.  The car felt slower than most GM 4 cyl
below 5000 RPM and then woke up to a level close to my Quad4.  I was impressed
that the car was so smooth and quiet and revved to over 8000 RPM before hitting
a really soft limiter.  (Mine is a brick wall at 7000 RPM)  I never got the car
over 60 MPH but was not overly impressed by acceleration.  I'd say it is close
to the same as my Beretta GTZ even though the mags say it is faster. Right? (My
GTZ is supposed to be a 7.6 Sec 0-60 and 16.0 1/4, However I have ran a 15.531
(slipping clutch too).  The mags never tested my year GTZ only a 90 which has
different gears.)

However I think that the car is lighter than mine.  Mine is about 2700-2800 lbs
in race form.  I really don't know about the wheel size but I have 16X7 rims
which hold 225/50/16's nicely.

Overall I think they will be competitive, but not a killer.

All from a relatively unexperienced person with only 2 years auto-xing.

Sorry I can't help on the SE-R stuff, but they seem like nice cars.

Rex Weatherford  <-- You drive what?
92 Beretta GTZ  <-- Old school 1987 technology
15.531 @ 91.28 MPH
Atlanta Region SCCA #22 GS/ESP/New DSP?