Re: Magnetic numbers (part 2)

To: "Pam Barker (home)" <Pam@Barker.net>
Subject: Re: Magnetic numbers (part 2)
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:42:10 -0600
Depends on how much you want to spend, Pam!

The cheapest route is to make them yourself.  Go to your local plastic
supply house and buy the bulk mag material.  It comes on a
two-foot-wide roll and it's sold by the running foot.  Last time I
checked, it's about $4 per running foot (that's two square feet).
Then draw out your numbers and letters with a pencil and cut them out
with a big pair of scissors.  Since your car is red, the natural white
mag material would contrast nicely.  You can also spray paint them any
color you want after you get them cut out.  That's how I did my first
set.

The next step up is to buy the mag material and then go to a local
sign shop and have them computer cut the numbers out of whatever color
of gummed plastic you want.  You pick the font and size and they'll
cut them.  Take them home, stick them to the mag material using
slightly soapy water and a hard plastic squeegie, cut them out with
same heavy duty scissors and you're in business.  That's how I did the
ones I've got now.

But, if you want to go all the way, get them ready-made from your
fellow autocrossers like the Alfts at Solo Time in Wichita, Larry
Everitt at Pro Tape in Dallas, or any of the other graphics places
that advertise in the back of SportsCar.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman