Re: Magnetic numbers (part 2)

To: "Pam Barker (home)" <Pam@Barker.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Magnetic numbers (part 2)
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:55:47 -0600
>All of the discussion about magnetic numbers prompts me to ask: where do
folks go to buy their
>magnetic numbers and class labels? Local sign shops, racer-shops either
locally or internet,
>other sources?

I get my material from the shop that sells to the sign shops.  Downside is
that they are only open business hours.  Upside is good price.  I use white
magnetic (soon to change over to white static-cling for my iron-impaired
car) and black 3M repositionable (NOT ScotchCal!) film.

>I have some plain-jane magnetic numbers that I bought from my local
autocross club and would like to upgrade to something a little more stylish
next year. Plus I need the class designation.

>Any hints or helpful tips regarding colors,

Black on white.  Unquestionable contrast on any color car.

>sizes,

The Solo2 minimum, numbers 8" high with a 1.25" stroke are visible at great
distances if proper contrast is used.  I have used class numbers 4" high,
but 6" is probably better.

>styles would also be appreciated.

I favor a no-nonsense sans-serif font like Helvetica or the like.  I have
been known to draw my own instead of tracing an actual font.  Effective, but
less finished-looking.

>FWIW, my car is a '99 Miata, classic red. As there are sometimes 2 drivers
for this car at an event, I am planning on getting individual numbers that I
can reverse or add a digit to.

I use black digits, each on its own white rectangle.  When put together to
make multi-digit numbers, they look like one large white rectangle bearing a
black number.  Individual digits are quickly and easily manipulated for
driver changes.  The spare ones are usually parked in the center of the roof
or rear deck where they will be ignored by workers.

Another advantage is that if you use the other driver's car for an event
sometime, you can use your numbers no matter what color the car is.

Large rectangles also stay on the car better than cut-out letters and
numbers.  More sticking area per amount of wind-catching edge.  I have found
them capable of sticking even when bridging over the side trim on the car,
even the massive trim on a Quantum Syncro.

Rectangles also don't tangle with each other in storage.

>-Pam
>-novice autocrosser in St. Petersburg, FL

You may be a novice, but your attention to numbers shows you are serious.
You will get more respect, especially from workers, if your numbers are
first-rate.

Does your local association issue permanent numbers?  If so, buy two or
three compatible ones so you can be ready for anything.  In our Council, I
own 7, 17, and 117.

http://www.visi.com/mac/images/m498/62m498.jpg
is my friend Phil Vanner taking my numbers for a backwards ride at Dakota
County Technical
College.  Note the still-airborne cone!

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/