Re: Police The issue...off subject

To: "jon e prevo" <tcbracer@juno.com>, <ewc4@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Police The issue...off subject
From: "Timothy Stevens" <tim@consoledomain.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:45:42 -0500
> > Speaking of "serve and protect", why don't cops stop to help when
> > your
> > broken down on the side of the highway?

Perhaps things are different where you are, but I frequently see police
officers stop to aid broken down cars in upstate NY, CT, Mass, and in
Minnesota, all places where I've done a good amount of driving. Mind you,
all of these places were rather rural and the liklihood of violence was slim
to nil. One time I pulled over to assist someone who had fallen asleep at
the wheel and driven their car off of the side of the highway into a ditch.
Even though I didn't take the time to call 911 (choosing to run over the
bank to make sure everyone was OK first), an officer was on the scene in
less than 2 minutes, and this was out in the middle of nowhere. Granted,
this is a more extreme situation than a simple breakdown, but the officer
couldn't have seen anything other than my car pulled to the side of the road
with it's hazard lights on and he still stopped. (Thankfully he did, because
the other car had rolled over down a hill and the driver had to crawl out
through the crushed door.)

-tim

p.s. No injuries in the rollover.