Re: Helmet Painting

To: <Smokerbros@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Helmet Painting
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 21:34:46 -0500
From: Smokerbros@aol.com <Smokerbros@aol.com>

>San Francisco Region has recently lost about 10-12 helmets due to theft
from
>those who were supposed to "borrow" them.  We need to replace them, and
make
>both the new ones and those remaining in loaner service somewhat less
>desirable.

We put MAC stickers all over them.   Makes them easier to spot at an event
(and on television, the time the SCCA borrowed them from us for a celibrity
training session before a Trans-Am).  Don't know that they help with
outright theft by third parties.

>Does anyone know what the limitations are as to painting currently Solo 2
>legal helmets?  I seem to remember that there were problems with helmet
shell
>integrity, but that it only applied to DOT helmets, not Snell rated ones.

Right.  The reason that was mentioned in the book was that Z90.1 did not
test helmets for the effects of stickers and spray paint.  Snell does test
for that.  Feel free to paint them.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green
"If it's Red Green art nobody will steel it"  - Phil Ethier